Windward School Mission Statement
Windward School is a dynamic college-preparatory school that challenges each student to achieve excellence in a nurturing, inclusive community. Windward teachers, parents, and administrators work together to inspire our students to be responsible, caring, well informed, ethical, prepared, and well balanced young adults.
Windward is at the forefront of educational models and practices that excite students about learning. Course offerings and academic initiatives are collaborative and interdisciplinary, driven by the most up-to-date research, and crafted in partnership with some of the nation’s most prestigious universities. These programs offer Windward’s students educational opportunities that are unique, engaging, and relevant to life in the 21st century.
Community and collaboration are at the core of the School’s philosophy and reflected every day in the warm, welcoming atmosphere on campus. Students are motivated to excel and to explore new learning opportunities. Upper School students, trained as peer counselors, offer a sounding board for their classmates. Windward’s nine-acre campus and purpose-built facilities provide an idyllic setting for students to learn, work, and socialize.
Vision of the Head of School
|The Board of Trustees and I work together to clarify the vision and mission of Windward School. The faculty members, administrative team, and I work with the parents and students to fulfill our mission and make refinements that are in keeping with our vision of the future. This never-ending process requires teamwork, constructive feedback, and revision. The sum of its parts and the synergystic effect of collaboration define Windward's success. To these ends, our goals encompass:|
- Creating a balanced college-preparatory program within a caring environment;
- Complementing strong academic preparation with the development of ethics, character, and strong interpersonal skills;
- Maintaining small classes and accessible faculty members, alumni, and friends to promote a strong sense of community;
- Developing innovative programs, challenging course work, and dynamic co-curricular activities that meet the needs of our students;
- Having faculty members and staff well trained, supervised, highly motivated, and sharing our vision;
- Creating a welcoming community that embraces diversity and encourages students to develop a sophisticated understanding of the world they will inherit;
- Providing facilities and resources to create the strongest educational setting for optimal student learning.
Head of School
|Windward School is a 7-12, co-ed, independent day school located in the Mar Vista neighborhood of Los Angeles. |
- Established in 1971
- Founded by Shirley Windward and Carl Parsons
- Accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- Grades 7-12
- 550 students enrolled in 2012-13 (174 middle school, 376 upper school)
- 9.5 acre campus in West Los Angeles, two miles from the ocean
- Student/teacher ratio: 8:1. Average class size 16:1
- 8,000-plus hours of community service performed by seniors each year (over 100 hrs. per student)
- 100% of students went on to attend four-year colleges in 2012
- 16 Advanced Placement (AP) courses offered each year, over 20 college-level classes offered to juniors and seniors
- 72% of teachers hold master's degrees
- Financial aid awards have tripled since 2002
- 28% students of diversity
- Tuition for 2013-14: $32,977